Sunday, November 19, 2017

Publishing Quest for Children's Books

Oh, dear, where to start? Since December 2016 lots of things have happened. Therefore I didn't find the time to post.


Firstly, as per Alinka Rutkowskas suggestions, I followed writing classes.  Alinka is a pro in book marketing. I dont know where she finds the energy and time with two wonderful kids, but she has built an empire. For those of you that want to self-publish click here. (Ill get a small commission if you join) Theres a lot of information, read, read, read.

Then, I started following Childrens Book Insider and took a course in writing Chapter Books,(Chapter Book Blueprints) I also took a course on social media, which was great. I am still a member of CBI for the great information and monthly newsletters about trends and agents, etc. Check out Laura Backs and Jon Bard.

Then, I stumbled upon CBA, Childrens Book Academy where I immediately felt I was at home with Dr. Mira Reisberg.

Call it ESP. Mira is a wonderful person, she loves her work and she really wants to help new authors get published. I dont know how she does it? In any case, I have followed various courses; illustrating kids books, Middle-Grade Mastery, and in writing picture books, with CBA.

Its difficult, the classes are packed jammed with information, which we must digest in 5 weeks, but can have access to the material for 6 months after the lessons are finished.

Its a challenge for those who are serious about becoming illustrators and authors. I highly recommend you check them out.  Its well worth it. Psst...they also have the Golden Tickets. Click on the link's for CBA, and find out what it means.


This said, I feel fulfilled, I am learning and applying the know-how. Perseverance and patience are important here. Dont expect to get your book published soon.

Nothing in life is easy, you have to work hard to achieve your goals, as in any other business.


Become a member of SCBWI, theres a lot of information on the website to help newbies.

If you want a ROI, (Return On Investment), you must first invest in time and money. Attend workshops in your area, and hone your craft.

Become an active member of the SCBWI. You cant imagine the wealth of information SCBWI can offer.


If youre a Canadian citizen join CANSCAIP here.

Youll get contacts and make friends with other authors that are willing to help you.

Oh lets not forget critique groups.

I was once afraid of joining critique groups. Why? Will they steal my idea? Even if they do, they will never write the same story as you will. Its impossible. Sotake the dive, find other authors willing to critique your work and do the same. Youll learn a lot from it. Both ways.


This said, I hope you investigate and take a few writing courses or workshops, especially if you are newbies to the publishing business - they are so important.

Youll learn the ins and outs of the publishing world and what is trendy right now.

All of the above-mentioned courses and persons are wonderful people, it's up to you to take the first step and find the right fit.

Now, get out there and write a great book.

No comments:

Post a Comment